Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beware the trickery of
"Trickster Coyote"


I've completed my "Trickster Coyote" papercut today! Based on the traditional Native American representation of Trickster Coyote, the piece uses cut-up Loki comics as background texture, bringing together an ancient trickster with a comic book counterpart. The Loki pieces are from Thor comics throughout the 20th century, including some Jack Kirby and John Buscema. There are also some Native American colors and textures (courtesy of Alpha Flight and The Ringo Kid), and a few other surprises here and there.

This piece, and many others, will be on display in my upcoming one-man show at Brave New World Comics (the opening reception is Saturday, September 11).

1 comment:

  1. In a search for an iconic coyote, the trickster, I came across your exquisite rendering of that rascal and chose it among the hundreds of images because it so richly displayed the spirit of that character. I assumed it was made by a native American. I'll do a search of your other work.

    Davy
    leathersmithe.com

    ReplyDelete