Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Paper Tefillah series:
"Ahavat Olam"


Here's a very little photo of the "Ahavat Olam" papercut that will be featured in my "paper tefillah" show this January in Memphis.

What?

You haven't heard about the show yet?

We've got our opening reception on Tuesday, January 10, 2012, at Temple Israel in Memphis. And it's going to be awesome, if I do say so myself. And I do. Sixteen papercuts representing the major prayers in contemporary American Jewish worship services.

Anyhow, in the "Ahavat Olam" prayer (which is part of the evening service) we thank God for the gift of Torah. I've represented this gift as the Etz Chaim (Tree of Life), in which the leaves are Hebrew letters and the background is made up entirely of cut-up Superman comics and pieces from prayerbooks and a chumash that had been destined for ritual burial in the genizah.

I don't have a larger image to share right now... I'll get one posted here eventually, but you should also consider coming to the show; all of the "paper tefillah" papercuts are 18" x 24" and look incredible in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment