Thursday, May 16, 2013

Herzl


"Herzl" is a papercut I made based on a photograph of Theodore Herzl at the First Zionist Congress in 1897, in Basel, Switzerland. This piece takes on more significance for me now as my family is planning a trip to Israel.

However, it seems that not many people are as familiar with the original photograph as I am – which is fine; it's a touchstone for me, but not for everybody. So I thought it would be useful to present the original photo alongside my portrait, for those who are interested.

My portrait is made with cut-up Green Lantern comics – because Herzl is known for the words, "Im tirtzu, ein zo agada" – "If you will it, it is no dream." And of course, Green Lantern's ring is powered by willpower.

You can still see it live at "You did WHAT to my comics?!?",  now showing at Brave New World Comics in Newhall, California (details here). A color catalog of all works on display is available for download as a PDF here – and though many of them have sold, there are a few works still available for purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment